Bakewell Bridge

History of Methodism in Bakewell

Wesleyan Reform Church

            The first Church on Bagshaw Hill was built on rented land in the mid 1800s and the present building was erected in 1887, the land being a gift of George Wain and Joseph Winson and comfortably seated 250 worshippers and the Sunday School accommodated 150 scholars. The Church was the head of a circuit of 17 chapels with the circuit extending from Eyam to Stanton and from Curbar to Winster and Darley. Latterly the lower part of the building was used for commercial purposes and the Church closed in the 1980s and several members thereafter worshipped at the Matlock Street Church.

                                  Wesleyan Reform Church (now)      Wesleyan Reform Church (now)

                                                                 The Wesleyan Reform Church as it is now.

Back  |   The Early Years